Your dental health is an indicator of your overall general health. Healthy dental hygiene habits, like proper brushing and flossing and regular dentist visits, are the best ways to prevent major dental problems with your teeth and periodontal gum disease. Recent studies have linked oral health issues to systemic diseases such as coronary artery disease, premature birth, low birth weight, and complications with diabetes.
Each of our dental hygienists are highly trained and licensed to perform comprehensive, individualized oral exams. At every visit, a member of our dental hygienist team will:
- Review and update your medical history
- Perform a thorough gum pocket check – 6 points per tooth
- Take all necessary digital X-rays
- Perform comprehensive scaling and root planing both above and below your gum line
- Polish your teeth with air and prophy paste. Special care will be given to cosmetic restorations
- Perform a tooth by tooth check
- Clean your teeth
- Irrigate your gums with medicine if needed
- Apply fluoride if needed
- Review and update oral hygiene instructions
- Check for TMJ and bite problems
You will also have a thorough examination of your teeth, bone structure around the teeth, oral cancer screening, and a TMJ evaluation performed by Jeffrey Fox, DDS and Keith Vibert, DDS.